Tuesday 18 October 2016

My New Narrative

I recently thought about how I could change my narrative slightly by having a deeper story line. I want to keep elements from the old narrative but change them slightly in the following ways.

5 years ago a young girl looses her older sister. She can't get over the loss and she misses her very much. The sister who died used to regularly go on camping holidays with her boyfriend/friends on the weekends, and the caravan is still in the girl's family garden. The girl regularly goes down to the caravan for comfort and to bring back memories. She also rings the number that used to be her sisters, and it always goes to voicemail. She loves to hear her sister's voice and sometimes she will leave a message.

In my trailer I am planning on starting with the girl reflecting on her sister's death with voice overs, visiting the caravan and ringing the number. I will also include some flashbacks. Further on the line things start to get strange, as the caravan might look different how it did to last time, or things move inside the house or the garden might get ruined. Eventually the girl will ring the phone number, and someone answers. I also might get a shot of the girl finding the sister buried underground, who might stand up and walk from her grave.

My new narrative follows Tzvetan Todorov's theory, as the narrative starts off with equilibrium of happy flashbacks of the two sisters, then we see the disruption of the sister dying by seeing different shots of the younger sister upset about the situation. We see the situation thickening and getting worse the more we see and the more she tries to resolve the situation near the end crescendo, however because it was a trailer I'd created, I can't reveal the entire narrative so the ending equilibrium explained in the theory won't be shown in my trailer. A common convention of horror films is for the ending to finish with equilibrium.

No comments:

Post a Comment